Organizations Doing Effective COVID-19 Relief Work on LI
St. John’s has been working closely with our local partners to assess needs and help fill in gaps. We are particularly impressed with the work being done by Community Solidarity (who distributed food to over 750 people in Huntington last Tuesday night), Helping Hands Rescue mission (a food pantry providing food to many families, including the ones we are helping), the Salvation Army (also helping distribute food to many families locally), and St. Hugh’s of Lincoln Food Pantry (where most of the food we have distributed comes from, and which is currently EMPTY).
Many of you have asked how you can help. A check to St. John’s for Outreach will, of course support the work we are doing. There are also several very good organizations doing vital food distribution work on Long Island. Food pantries are struggling to keep up with demand and can use both financial support and food donations. For food donations, we encourage you to visit each organization’s website for instructions and operating hours. You will also find instructions for how to make a financial donation.
Organizations to consider:
- Community Solidarity https://www.communitysolidarity.org
- Family Service League https://www.fsl-li.org
- Helping Hands Rescue Mission https://www.helpinghandsrescuemission.org
- Island Harvest https://www.islandharvest.org
- Long Island Cares https://www.licares.org
- Salvation Army (E. Northport) https://satruck.org.
- St. Hugh’s of Lincoln Food Pantry https://sthugh.org
- The INN https://the-inn.org
Video of Community Solidarity food distribution during the pandemic.